Monday, January 24, 2011

It all begins with me




I've never really been one to watch the news. I don't read the paper, except occasionally to do a crossword or a Sudoku. It's not that I don't care about what's going on around me, it's just that I haven't really been interested, and truthfully I'm not sure which is the greater sin.


A couple of weeks ago, on a quiet night at work, I sat in the staff lounge on a break and CNN was on. It was getting close to the anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti, and they were showing a documentary about the orphans 1 year later. I sat glued to the TV, one moment horrified at what i was seeing, the next grateful for people from all over the world that were doing everything that they could to help.

Some kids were orphans, some couldn't find their families... and some, the ones that kept me awake at night, we're given up. Given up by parents who loved them but had no way to feed them. I have tried to imagine what that would be like, but in truth it was just too painful.

What if there was no one turn turn to? What if we couldn't just work, or get help from the government, or  borrow from our parents, our siblings.. family or friends.. Yes, some would steal to feed their children but what if that wasn't even available. We live in one of the richest nations in the world, and this goes on around us while we go on living our lives. 

It's true, that our country does give to other countries that need it. I belong to a church that does the same. Many wonderful caring individuals do what they can, But what about me? What have I done to make a difference? If I was angry at anything, it was that. How have I chosen to share what I have?


There are so many things that we can do individually  to make a huge difference. Most of us at some point get married and have children, what a blessing that is. What if we chose to adopt 1 child to our own families from an impoverished nation?
For those who travel for vacations, what if every couple of years, instead of going to Cuba, we went and worked for 2 weeks doing something good in some country that could use the help. Or if we sat down with our families and decided on a good charity to support?

Many amazing people do these and  more things already... It's me that is late getting on board. So I've spent a few weeks figuring out how I can make a difference. Once I did, something incredible happened. I became part of the solution, and I was able to look myself in the mirror again.

I know that this isn't what I usually write about. I normally like to keep it light and smiley. My daughter asked me tonight why I hadn't written anything new and I told her that it was because this is all I could think about, so she suggested that maybe this is what I should write about, and as always.. she was right. Thank You Sweetie.

I heard someone ask recently why God allows children to go to bed hungry. The answer was as true and profound as I have ever heard. "He doesn't, we do".
I won't any longer....


Peace Kiddies

No comments:

Post a Comment