Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Who knew



I have never been a fan of sports. I find them boring. I don’t get them and have never understood the appeal. My list of most boring sports in order are ;
1) Soccer... I mean come on, a bunch of guys kicking a ball in a 2 big field? I'd rather have a root canal.
2)Golf
3)Baseball
4)Football
5)And the least boring... but still not exciting, would be Hockey
Asking my sports minded buddies what it was all about, most just answered by saying things like... “I don’t know man, it’s just awesome” .. Oh now I get it, thanx.
I grew up with no dreams of making the big league, truth be told, when I was a kid I thought it would be kool to be part of the Ice Capades(There’s a deep dark secret that no one should EVER know).
While my much hipper and cooler brother was playing on hockey teams, and consequently keeping company of these very attractive creatures called "Girls", I hung out with the nerds in the science club(yeah I didn’t date much in high school).
So imagine my surprise when a couple of days ago, I found myself at a major league baseball game. What was even more of a surprise was that I had been looking forward to it for almost 2 weeks. All I can say now is.... I get it. I mean what a blast. Right from the awesome way the national anthem was sung, to the strikes, hits, pop flies... I asked so many stupid questions trying to figure out what was going on that when I ordered a hot dog and the vendor offered to cut it up in bite sized pieces so I wouldn’t choke.
People actually do “The wave”, which I missed every time but once, when I quit watching the game and just concentrated on “catching” the next one. Everyone started cheering once and when I asked why I found out that someone had stolen a base.. I missed it because I was staring intently on the batter.
I’m not a die hard fan though, because I was feeling bad for the visiting team. No one was cheering them at all, and I wanted them to get at least one run in, so they could go home with even a little dignity. Alas that wasn’t in the stars, because the Jays RULE and Tampa Bay Drools.
So now, I can`t wait for my next game... Except next time I want some Jays Gear, to show off my team, and I want to see if I know enough now that the Hot Dog vendor won`t offer to cut up my frank.
I still think that soccer is more boring than watching trees grow (sorry to my European friends).. But it does make me wonder what it would be like to see a Football or Hockey game. And if anyone ever ask me what the appeal is I`ll say "I don`t know man, it`s just AWESOME!!!!"
Who says you can`t teach an old dog new tricks. :-D

Peace Kiddies

No comments:

Post a Comment